Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mockingbird Movie, Bird on the front porch, Mockingbird Suite album


When I began this residency I wanted to find an overarching theme that would connect my sound, visual, and performance practices in a way that took into account the community-based nature of the project. My initial proposal was to collect and respond to the sights and sounds of York, Alabama and the surrounding area. As the project took shape I realized I wanted to use many different methods of responding to, and working with, the community. During research I happened upon some information about the North American Mockingbird. I saw parallels in the way it collects and revises its pallet of songs with the way I wanted to collect and respond to York. Thus, Mockingbird: Mapping Sights and Sounds is the culmination of this process.





I came up with the personae of a mockingbird. My costume consists of a second-hand gray suit and my grandfather’s hat. I move my arms periodically to mimic the mockingbird’s territorial wing movements. I strut around and survey my surroundings.




Mockingbird Suite:

This is a series of twenty sound pieces that combine field recordings and extended vocal techniques. Each one is a meditation on a particular sound, or a group of sounds that I have encountered during my residency. The sound pieces are the most obvious link to the mockingbird. However, they are not patterned on mockingbird song. If you are interested in getting a copy of the Mockingbird Suite, please contact me at the following email address: text2sound@yahoo.com. Or to download the entire album for free click here.

12 comments:

Anne Chancey Dalton said...

Rich,

Your project is fantastic!

I plan to spend time meditating on each of your nests and compost paintings. They stirred something in my heart and soul.

Anonymous said...

Wow fantastic image in this blog!
[Wow Gold]

Anonymous said...

I liked your blog its nice. Keep it up good work!
[Buy Wow Gold]

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog!
[Wow Gold]

smarther3 said...

This information is impressive; I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic. After reading your post, thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel happy about it and I love learning more about this topic. android Training in Chennai

Unknown said...


I just see the post i am so happy to the communication science post of information's.So I have really enjoyed and reading your blogs for these posts.Any way I’ll be replay for your great thinks and I hope you post again soon.

AWS Training in Chennai

sakthi said...

Inspiring writings and I greatly admired what you have to say , I hope you continue to provide new ideas for us all and greetings success always for you..Keep update more information..
best rpa training in bangalore
rpa training in bangalore | rpa course in bangalore
RPA training in bangalore
rpa training in chennai
rpa online training

sakthi said...

Inspiring writings and I greatly admired what you have to say , I hope you continue to provide new ideas for us all and greetings success always for you..Keep update more information..
best rpa training in bangalore
rpa training in bangalore | rpa course in bangalore
RPA training in bangalore
rpa training in chennai
rpa online training

ragul ragul said...

That was a great message in my carrier, and It's wonderful commands like mind relaxes with understand words of knowledge by information's.
AWS Online Training
AWS Training in Bangalore

varsha said...

wonderful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.
aws training in chennai | aws training in annanagar | aws training in omr | aws training in porur | aws training in tambaram | aws training in velachery

aarthi said...

Content is really useful.Nice blog.
Java training in Chennai

Java training in Bangalore

Java training in Hyderabad

Java Training in Coimbatore

Java Online Training

Matt Reeves said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing such a useful blog.
Salesforce Training in Velachery
Salesforce Training in T Nagar